Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Treacherous Impulses: Day 20

Word Total: 120,023

Year to Date: 120,023

Summary of Events:
Hilton got help from a little girl and her grandmother in finding the kidnappers' hideout and then managed to get inside. His entrance didn't go undetected, Líliana planned to kill Dr. Haner and then take Mackenzie somewhere else, but then Mackenzie suggested that it might be Mr. Haner, so Líliana set a trap and decided to wait. Hilton got thoroughly lost, but then followed one of the gangsters to where Mackenzie and Dr. Haner were with Líliana and her bodyguards; he freed both Mackenzie and Dr. Haner, but Líliana succeeded in killing Dr. Haner before they could wholly escape. They drove to Montevideo, where they were thoroughly questioned by the CIA and finally — once Mackenzie recounted Líliana's motive to Mr. Haner, who recalled an incident that caused him to believe them at last — released. Their adventure finally over, Hilton and Mackenzie parted at the airport . . . 

Excerpt of the Day:
""Would you call me a friend?" Mackenzie asked.
"No," Hilton replied quickly.
Mackenzie looked at him like she was hurt.
Hilton put a hand on her shoulder and looked deeply into her eyes. "You're much more dear than that."
A flush reddened Mackenzie's cheeks.
"You really are," Hilton said. "I don't even think a friend would have the fortitude to tolerate my incorrigibility and my idiosyncrasies. You– not even my mother has that kind of fortitude."
Mackenzie gazed at Hilton, her mouth slightly open, like she was surprised.
"When I lost you, I was so worried," Hilton said. "I . . . if I wouldn't have found you, and been able to keep you alive, there would've been no alternative for me other than to shoot myself."
"I'm flattered," Mackenzie said quietly.
"And . . . that pure– that look, of pure delight, when you saw me," Hilton said. "In the kidnappers' hideout. No one, ever, in all my life, has looked at me like that; like they actually wanted to see me."
Mackenzie gazed at Hilton, her eyes wide. Hilton wanted to say more to her, but he had no idea how to say what he wanted. The only way he could think to say what he wanted was to take her into his arms, kiss her passionately, and then do the very thing she'd made absolutely clear she didn't want him to do to her.
Gently Hilton slid his arms around Mackenzie and pulled her tightly against him. She returned the embrace not half as tightly as he was holding her.
As he held her he slowly lowered his head and nosed her forehead away from himself slightly until his lips found skin and passionately latched on. He held her head loosely in the fingers of one hand, while the other encircled her.
After a few minutes Mackenzie loosened her hold and started to push away from Hilton. Reluctantly he released her and looked at her, so fair, so beautiful, so much the personification of everything he could've ever wanted in a woman.
"I'll miss you Hilton," Mackenzie said softly. "But at least we've already exchanged numbers."
Hilton had to think for a moment before remembering that he'd texted her — thus giving her his number.
"We'll have to keep in touch often," Hilton said. "And whenever one of us is on the verge of getting into an adventure the other one should pop over and join them. It's rather fun having an adventure with someone."
"Yeah," Mackenzie said. "Next time I have treacherous impulses I'll call you."
"You have what?" Hilton asked.
"Treacherous impulses," Mackenzie replied. "I think I'd like to do something that could turn out to be dangerous."
"Oh," Hilton said. "I'll probably have a treacherous impulse long before you do."
Mackenzie smiled. Hilton smiled back, but his smile faded. Quickly he snatched her back up into his arms and gave her a quick, hard, passionate kiss on the cheek before heading off to his flight gate before they ended up missing their flights."

The setup for February's novel will be posted on January 29.

No comments:

Post a Comment