Saturday, January 23, 2016

Treacherous Impulses: Day 18

Word Count: 108,014

Summary of Events:
Mackenzie received Hilton's text and texted him back that they'd just left Córdoba, Argentina, pleased that the kidnappers hadn't taken her cell phone. Hilton made for Córdoba and due to his late arrival decided to spend the night — being as he hadn't received further updates from Mackenzie — he wasn't tired, so he read CNN and BBC articles until he was tired. Mackenzie watched for signs as they approached their next location and texted Hilton they were at Salto, Uruguay; her cell phone was then noticed, unfortunately, and taken from her. Hilton received Mackenzie's text and headed for Salto, stopping for breakfast before he got too far. The kidnappers drove to Rivera, Uruguay, where Mackenzie found out they were going to meet the kidnappers' boss, known simply as Nuño . . .

Excerpt of the Day:
""Welcome back to South America Brian," she said slowly, her English clear and not that strongly accented.
Brian? A first name basis? Dr. Haner must've really known this woman. Dr. Haner made no reply, though.
"You wonder why you are here, I am sure Brian," she said.
Dr. Haner nodded.
"Well it's quite simple Brian," she said. "I have brought you here to die."
Dr. Haner shook his head, his eyes wide with terror.
"I am not the naïve girl I was when you first met me anymore," she said. "I'm not one over whose eyes the wool can so easily be pulled anymore. And I have much more power now too, Brian, you will die."
"No," Dr. Haner whispered, his voice trembling. "Please."
Mackenzie looked over to see tears running down Dr. Haner's cheeks.
"You showed no mercy and so no mercy will be shown unto you," the woman snapped, her voice like fire. He must've done something terrible to her, Mackenzie thought.
She gave sharp orders in Spanish and Reyes towed a trembling and weeping Dr. Haner off to the side. Dídac and Santiogo moved Mackenzie to be more central in front of the woman.
"And you," the woman said. "What is your name?"
"Mackenzie Blackbear," Mackenzie replied.
"And where are you from?" she asked.
"Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada," Mackenzie replied.
"I do not know that place," she said. "But that is of no importance. Why are you here?"
"Because your men kidnapped me," Mackenzie replied smartly.
The woman rolled her eyes before lowering them into a glare. "And why were you where my men could kidnap you?" she asked dryly.
"I was following them," Mackenzie replied.
"Why?" she asked.
"Because I saw on Wikipedia that Dr. Haner was listed on the deaths portion of the June twenty second page, and thought that I should do something to save him," Mackenzie replied.
"Why?" she asked, looking more curious.
"Because I felt like I should prevent crime from being done," Mackenzie replied. "I can't say I imagined myself getting into any of this, though."
The woman smiled, her bright red lips curling, but not revealing any teeth.
"Well, Miss Blackbear, you are utterly helpless now," she said, rising from her seat and placing her hands on her desk authoritatively. "For I am Líliana Nuño, and I get away with crime, because crime is my life."
So she was Nuño. Mackenzie had honestly been expecting a man, but being as Nuño was her surname, Mackenzie wasn't entirely surprised.
"Instead, you will be my audience," Líliana continued. "I will tell you the atrocities Brian committed, and you will watch as his life slowly ebbs away from him until he is nothing but a withered carcass on the floor."
"No!" Dr. Haner burst out.
Mackenzie looked over at him and saw Reyes was barely holding him on his feet as tears streamed down his face. He looked a terribly broken man. Mackenzie couldn't help but wonder what in the world Dr. Haner had done to get himself into this mess."

No comments:

Post a Comment