Monday, June 15, 2015

Astounding Discovery: Day 13

Word Count: 78,007

Summary of Events:
Chapter 25:
Adaire helped Donnchádh and Caoilfíonne prepare for the annual harvest celebration in which the entire Toírdhealbhách clan would be hosted in Laoísmellyk. Saoirse helped her family pack to go to the  Lagoahaíre clan's gathering for the same holiday.
Chapter 26:
Adaire had a nightmare about the storm and the ship sinking and couldn't get back to sleep, so he went outside and started to feel like the whole ship sinking was his fault. Saoirse and her family set out to the town where their clan would be gathering, which had Saoirse incredibly excited.

Excerpt of the Day:
""By foolishness I can only blame myself for I let nine hundred men be led to their deaths," Adaire replied. "And I even aided in the hastening of their deaths."
"Now I thought ye'd settled and put that all behind ye," Donnchádh said. "It's all past anyways, what's the point'a thinkin' about what can't be changed? The past is the past, and we can't do naught t'change it."
"I dreamt of the storm," Adaire said. "The ships figurehead was intent on killing me, and then she took me underater and the ghosts of the sailors attacked me and tried to kill me."
"I'm sure your actions were a contributor to things," Donnchádh said. "But it wasn't all your fault; the captain chose t'be a fool too, in addition t'floutin' your orders, and lad, that was a Shírk unlike I've seen in years, ye all would'a gone down anyways, I'm sure naught could'a been done t'save ye once ye all were in the thick'a it."
"But . . . but if I wouldn't have gone and gotten drunk I could've made sure the caption had kept the orders," Adaire replied. "But I got drunk, and so it was easy for him to disobey me because I wasn't of the sober mind to even take over from him or something."
"Any'a the sailors could'a taken over from him too," Donnchádh said. "I'm sure they weren't fools."
"But they would've gotten charged with insubordination and fired by my father — no matter what they were trying to do — I was the only one who had any authority to usurp him or order him around," Adaire said. "And I was drunk."
"Well ye've learned a lesson," Donnchádh said. "Ye'll do better next time."
"I don't think there'll be a next time," Adaire said.
"And why not?" Donnchádh asked.
"Because, I'm sure my father will hold me responsible for their deaths; he may well even disown me," Adaire replied.
"Now come on, that's a lot'a nonsense," Donnchádh said. "Your father couldn't possibly be that fickle. And if ye tell him you're sorry and that ye promise ye'll never do it again, and show him that you're genuinely apologetic for what ye did, I'm sure he'll give ye a second chance. This is all just your guilt talkin', ye don't know for sure what your father's goin' t'do."
"This is going to haunt me fore the rest of my life," Adaire said.
"Only if ye let it," Donnchádh replied. "If ye can accept that ye can't do nothin' about the past and that it all just happened the way it did, takin' responsibility for the things ye did wrong and strive t'never do 'em again, then it won't haunt ye."
Adaire sighed.
"Ye wee doin' well enough puttin' it behind ye before," Donnchádh said. "And I'll do what I can t'help ye move on, bein's ye can't do nothin' t'change it all so there's no sense in thinkin' on it, but for now ye should come back t'bed.""

No comments:

Post a Comment