Tuesday, October 07, 2014

Finding Honour: Day 6

Word Count: 37,335

Summary of Events:
Chapter 11:
Borden went to the Agassiz penitentiary where the Frankes had been imprisoned and found out they were no longer there, but Mr. Franke'd had a cellmate and Borden had a somewhat odd and slightly convoluted conversation with the cellmate who gave Borden the name of a place called Iskut. Eira and Honour were taken to some place they didn't know and asked to sing.
Chapter 12:
Borden returned to Mackenzie and decided he was going to journey to Iskut on foot being as he didn't have the money for the fuel required to get him to Iskut by car, Mr. and Mrs. Pavelick were a little saddened at his decision. Eira sang again, as she'd been doing daily for awhile, and she and Honour discussed why she was being asked to sing.

Excerpt of the Day:
""So what are you going to need for your journey?" Mr. Pavelick asked.
"I'm not really going to need anything," Borden replied. "I've got some survival gear, and I don't think it'd be wise to bring any food with be due to the bears and other hungry wildlife."
"But how are you going to survive?" Mrs. Pavelick asked, her eyes opening wide.
"There's no lack of water in the woods, all kinds of rivers and lakes and such," Borden replied. "And there's probably going to be berries, and I could use a rope and rig up some snares to get small game."
"But still," Mrs. Pavelick said. "Who says you're going to find anything?"
"I don't know," Borden replied. "But I would think that since there isn't much for settlements in the forests of British Columbia that there would be a pretty good quantity of wildlife that could be caught and eaten."
"Shouldn't you maybe bring a gun or something?" Mrs. Pavelick asked.
"I have some knives," Borden replied. "But I don't exactly ant to go making a ruckus or anything. No sense in going out and disturbing the peace or anything — besides, I'm going to be more likely to hit a tree than anything I might want to eat with the density of the trees I'm sure."
"What about a tent? Or blankets?" Mrs. Pavelick asked.
"I have coat," Borden replied. "There wouldn't likely be too much space for a tent to be set up."
Mrs. Pavelick looked uncertain.
"Mrs. Pavelick," Borden said. "I had six years military training, and in the military we're trained to survive some pretty extreme circumstances, being as they may ver well be possibly required in combat. I'll be alright, and if not, well, I have my doubts that anybody'll really miss me or anything."
Mrs. Pavelick definitely looked on the verge of tears. Borden could see her eyes were glassy and moist.
"We will," Mr. Pavelick said.
Borden saw that Mr. Pavelick was sombre and sad looking as well. Sighing, Borden gave a glance down at his plate.
"I'm honoured that you care," Borden said. "But still, who's more important? An unmarried, dishonoured, ex-convict? Or a child? As much as I like being alive, I think that returning Honour to safety is more important — even if it possibly costs me my life."
Mrs. Pavelick was in tears now. Mr. Pavelick gently put his arm around her.
"And if it does," Mr. Pavelick said. "We aren't just going to let your body rot in the woods, we're going to make sure you get a proper and honourable burial."
Borden nodded."

No comments:

Post a Comment