Friday, September 23, 2022

Walking a Fine Line: Day 20

Word Total: 120,030

Year to Date: 720,367

Summary of Events:
Led by Detective Waggoner, the police went to Mr. McElligott's apartment, which they searched while Joseph waited with an officer, whom he told more about what he'd done privately, which ended up being corroborated by the landlord when he came out to see what was going on. The detectives were apprised of Joseph's revelations once they returned with Mr. McElligott, but no jewellery or money, and Joseph led them to the apartment where the actual crooks lived. The two crooks were caught unawares by the police, and the jewellery and money found. Mr. O'Toole confessed readily to Mr. McElligott's innocence and more, while his associate — identified as Mr. Treacy — was upset, and held his silence. With the men arrested, the detectives and several officers headed back for the station house, leaving the other officers to do a bit more searching yet for further information in the apartment…

Excerpt of the Day:

Once they were outside, Detective May said something to the officer holding Joseph’s arm that prompted the officer to release it and advance beside Mr. McElligott, leaving Joseph to walk freely with Detective May beside him.

“I hope I’ve gotten the truth out of you now, Mr. Neil,” Detective May said.

“I’m sorry, sir,” Joseph said. “It’s just… she’s my best friend.”

“Who is?” Detective May asked.

“My sister who’s sweet on Mr. McElligott,” Joseph replied. “She’s my best friend, and I want the best for her, and I wasn’t sure going to you right away and telling everything he’d told me would allow me to vet him properly. In fact, I wasn’t really sure what to believe when he first told me that he’d been accused of a robbery.”

Detective May nodded. “I don’t think I’ve met a man more zealous after his sister’s wellbeing.”

“Too zealous,” Joseph said.

“Maybe before you have to marry another sister off you should join the force,” Detective May said. “Or, if that doesn’t suit you, you should become a private investigator. I think you’d do well. If you want to join the force I’d even put in a good word for you.”

Joseph nodded.

“I want to see you for questioning tomorrow,” Detective May said. “But as it stands, I’m letting you off with a warning to get us involved sooner if there is a next time, or, as I said, join the force or become a certified private detective, as if there is a next time, I might not be so lenient, and I can’t speak for my colleagues at the other station houses.”

“Yes sir,” Joseph said.

“You certainly talk like you’ve been in the army,” Detective May said. “What unit did you say you were with again?”

Joseph replied.

“And under the name Joseph Neil?” Detective May asked.

“Yes,” Joseph replied. “Joseph F. Neil.”

“I’ll look that up,” Detective May said. “For now, good night, and I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“After dinner like this is fine?” Joseph asked.

“It is,” Detective May replied.

“Probably about the same time you saw me tonight then,” Joseph said.

“I’ll be expecting you,” Detective May said.

Joseph nodded and slackened his pace, letting Mr. Crawford pass him, and then letting the whole party increase their gap ahead of him until he reached an intersection where he ought to turn westward in order to head home, so he did, glancing over his shoulder a couple times just to be sure that no one was going to come after him. Based on how everything had come out, he hadn’t expected to be let go, but he was grateful, and he was resolved not to withhold anything from Detective May that was relevant for him to know when he called on the station house the following evening.


Next Post: 1 October.

No comments:

Post a Comment