Monday, May 09, 2022

Seeded: Day 7

Word Count: 42,003

Summary of Events:
Brandt stayed for the campfire songs, even though he didn't know a single one of them, and he didn't even really want to go back to his family when he had to. As Lark headed for home with her dad and sister, she thought about Brandt, who hadn't been anything like she'd expected a Remington to be, based on the hearsay she'd heard over the years. The following morning Brandt woke up early and found his uncle was also awake, so they sat down by the fire and chatted, eventually coming onto the topic of Veronica…

Excerpt of the Day:

“Yeah, that too,” Uncle Maynard said. “I mean, Angie’s closer to a farm girl; she has a better idea of how farming works and whatnot, but Ron…” he shook his head.

“She thinks that she knows,” Brandt said. “But she just believes all the pseudoscientific rot that’s been put out there over the years.”
“Yeah, I’ve heard that too,” Uncle Maynard said.

“And try and change her mind,” Brandt said.

Uncle Maynard shook his head.

“It’d be easier to get an elephant into a Prius,” Brandt muttered.

Chuckling, Uncle Maynard shook his head again. “That’s about it.”

“I mean, even building a new house and some of the other stuff,” Brandt said. “Like, getting Dad to eat better, that’s great, I’ve noticed improvements in him; he’d not admit that he was that bad, but he actually was, and he seems to have a lot more energy and stuff, but, like, the new house, and, just other stuff in general, it’s like… it’s like I’ve been replaced or something.”
“How do you mean?” Uncle Maynard asked.

“I don’t really know, “ Brandt replied. “It’s not like I really care what happens to the house, I mean, it’s not derelict, but, you know, it is kind of dated and stuff. I don’t have any exceptional memories in the place that would make me want to keep it for sentimental reasons, but I really don’t anticipate that I’m going to like the place she and Dad have in the works either because it’s likely going to be a very city house that’s made more to look like a showpiece than a place to live in.”

Uncle Maynard nodded.

“I don’t even really care about some of the other stuff either,” Brandt said. “But I just feel… maybe… like… she’s trying to take Dad from me.”

Brandt focused his gaze on the fire and took deep breaths in an effort to calm himself, not really sure where the rise of emotion he was feeling had even come from.

“I mean, I don’t necessarily feel that Dad always means what he says about me,” Brandt continued. “But… it’s… still… he’s my dad.”

Uncle Maynard nodded. “Yeah.”

“I mean, you even saw it yesterday,” Brandt said. “He’s always taking her side on things and seeming to think that I’m the one who needs to change my attitude. I haven’t changed who I am. He has. She’s changed him.”

“I’ve noticed that too,” Uncle Maynard said. “I feel like she’s driving a wedge between me and him too.”

“But getting rid of her is easier said than done,” Brandt said.

Uncle Maynard nodded. “It is.”

Brandt sighed and watched as the flames licked at the wood. The fire seemed to be fading somewhat from its initial strength, but considering that the day was only going to get warmer from here, warmth wasn’t really needed, and the fact that the fifth wheels had stoves also meant that the fire wasn’t even really needed for cooking or anything like that either.

No comments:

Post a Comment