Wednesday, August 04, 2021

Don't Let Go: Day 3

 Word Count: 19,006

Summary of Events:
Tor spent the night and much of the following day at his grandparent's house, as many of his relatives gathered there to mourn together. Tor's friends came by to visit — or, just sit with him while he cried — a couple days later as well. Later on in the week Tor learned that Alexa had miscarried her and Uncle Zikki's baby. Soon after Tor was informed that Uncle Zikki's body had arrived in Germany and his Opa was going to confirm the identity, offering to send Tor some photographic proof, as Tor didn't want to believe Uncle Zikki was dead. Soon after that call was ended, Tor was startled by his cellphone ringing…

Excerpt of the Day:

Bringing his cellphone out of his pocket, Tor looked at the screen. According to the ID it was a law office. Tor was confused, but he decided he probably ought to answer it.

“Hallo?” he answered warily.

“Hallo, am I speaking to Tor Bergmann?” a man on the other end asked.

“Ja,” Tor replied.

“I am Wendell Riehl,” the man said, adding that he was a lawyer for the office whose name had appeared on the ID.

Tor nodded, then remembered he was talking on his cellphone. “Ja.”

“I would like to first express my sincerest condolences to you for your loss,” Herr Riehl said.

Danke,” Tor said hesitantly.

“And now the purpose of my calling is to inform you that your uncle left a Testament,” Herr Riehl said.

“Oh,” Tor said. “But why are you calling me?”

“He left me with instructions that if I heard that he was deceased I was to call you and inform you of it,” Herr Riehl replied.

“Am I allowed to… see it?” Tor asked.

“Well, I would presume you are to be the executor of his estate,” Herr Riehl said.

“But I’m only sixteen,” Tor replied.

“Oh,” Herr Riehl said. “Well, then you’ll probably need to bring an adult with you.”

“Like my Opa?” Tor asked. “His father?”

“Ja,” Herr Riehl said. “And I do believe there were some funeral instructions in the Testament as well.”

“Oh,” Tor said. “Well, I will… have to contact my Opa. And… then… will we have to book an appointment?”

“Ja,” Herr Riehl said.

“We will do that then,” Tor said. “Danke.”

“You’re welcome,” Herr Riehl replied. “Goodbye.”

“Goodbye,” Tor replied.

He ended the call and hurried to his bedroom door.

Opening it, he looked around. Mama wasn’t in sight.

“Mama?” he called. “Mama!”

Seeing a handset on the little table just outside Vater and Mama’s bedroom, Tor hurried over to it and saw on the display that the line was still in use. He didn’t recall hearing the phone ring while he’d been talking to Herr Riehl. Mama still had to be talking to Opa.

He pressed the button to answer and put it to his ear.

“…and talk to her,” Opa said.

Tor felt relief. He’d guessed right.

“Opa,” Tor said.

“Tor?” Mama asked. “Where are you?”

“Upstairs,” Tor replied.

“Ja Tor?” Opa asked.

“I was just called by a lawyer,” Tor replied.

“Lawyer!?” Mama exclaimed.

“Why?” Opa asked.

“Uncle Zikki left a Testament,” Tor replied.

“Oh,” Opa said. “But why were you informed and not me?”

“I don’t know,” Tor replied. “But apparently it has some funeral instructions in it.”

“Oh,” Opa said.

“You and I are to… make an appointment to see Herr Riehl and read it,” Tor said.

“Herr Riehl is the lawyer?” Opa asked.

“Ja,” Tor replied.

“Well, I will make an appointment for us then,” Opa said. “Danke schön Tor.”

“You’re welcome Opa,” Tor said.


Pronunciations:

Wendell: vehndehl

Riehl: reeehl

Danke: dahnkih

Vater: fahteh

Schön: shehn

No comments:

Post a Comment