Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Oath Bound: Day 15

Word Total: 90,087

Year to Date: 570,158

Summary of Events:
Aðalbjörn continued to ask people if they'd seen a raven-haired maiden, only to have many of them scoff at the idea of such a woman existing, which made him wonder if he wasn't on a fool's errand. Friðljót was shaken by her experience with death, even if she was heartened that a vitki had been able to destroy the necklace so no one else could be harmed by it, fearful that her mother was behind the attempt to kill her. Fearing himself lost in a thick fog, Aðalbjörn decided to wait the fog out in an abandoned hut that wasn't abandoned, but was, in fact, occupied by a lone old woman, who offered him food and drink before enquiring of his travels . . .

Excerpt of the Day:

“What seek you?” she asked.

“A maiden,” he replied simply.

“What sort of maiden?” she asked.

“One, if there is, of raven hair,” Aðalbjörn replied.

“Why say you ‘if there is’?” she asked.

“Only among my own people have I heard it proclaimed that such women exist,” Aðalbjörn replied. “Of all others whom I enquire I get the answer that such are not to be found, excepting in the sagas.”

“Women of raven hair exist, my lord,” she replied, putting her well-worn hand gently on the back of his, only for him to draw his hand out from under her touch, not appreciating the sensation he felt when she touched him.

“Know you whereat I should find one?” Aðalbjörn asked. “Or of late have you seen one?”

“I know not where one may be found,” she replied. “But I have of late seen one.”

“Where?” Aðalbjörn asked, desperate and shocked that he’d finally found someone who’d seen a raven-haired maiden.

“She was on a pony, riding in a company of some warriors, and they were headed onwards from here,” she replied, indicating a north-northwesterly direction by her pointing — if Aðalbjörn had his directions as straight as he hoped he did despite the fog. “They did not see me, and so I did not enquire their destination.”

“What did she look like?” Aðalbjörn asked.

“She had the ocean in her eyes, the finest berries for her lips, and the new cream of a young cow as her skin,” she replied. “Never before have I seen a fairer maiden, for all the maidens I have seen in my days.”

It was her. It was his betrothed. Was she headed for Mørkingsfjord? No, north-northwest wouldn’t get there, but it was closer.

“Seek you she my lord?” the woman’s enquiry broke into his thoughts.

“May the gods look well on you,” Aðalbjörn replied. “Forgive my distrust, my hope has failed these days as I have sought, but not found. Now I have found and I must go.”

The woman nodded and Aðalbjörn hurried out, commanding Fróðvin to return to his shoulder as he fairly leapt into the saddle. He startled when he found the woman holding his reins, as well as a bag.

“I shall lead you where I saw them, my lord,” she said. “There is a trail they were following, but there are many settlements along it, and whence they stopped I know not, for they did not speak of their destination as they passed.”

Aðalbjörn nodded, not really caring how many settlements he had to ask at, the simple fact that he had a more straightforward direction in which to travel was enough for him.


I will be taking a summer break during the month of July, thus the next post will be on 1 August.

No comments:

Post a Comment