Friday, May 08, 2020

Unavoidable Confrontations: Day 5

Word Count: 30,017

Summary of Events:
Mrs. Mueller, the pastor's wife, stopped by to visit, giving Madeleine some appreciated advice on how to express her concerns about his coworker to Erik. Axel was invited over to his uncle's house for dinner, only to be served a casserole he didn't enjoy and get into a minor argument with Cheryl about how well he cared for himself. When Erik came home Madeleine told him about Mrs. Mueller's visit, hoping to use it as a segue into her concerns about his coworker . . .

Excerpt of the Day:
“She was concerned,” Madeleine replied. “She’d seen me not looking so happy on Sunday and wanted to know what was going on.”
“And what is going on?” Erik asked, looking concerned.
“It’s like I told you the other day,” Madeleine said. “You talk about her too much.”
“Kaira you mean?” Erik asked.
“Yes,” Madeleine replied.
“Are you really sure I do?” Erik asked.
“Yes,” Madeleine replied. “And I want to know how much time you actually spend with her.”
“Not as much time as I spend with you,” Erik replied.
“No, that’s not what I mean!” Madeleine cried, tears springing to her eyes.
“I’m sorry,” Erik said, although he sounded bemused.
“I mean compared to everyone else you work with,” Madeleine said.
“Well, I don’t really know,” Erik replied. “I’ve never paid attention, but it’s probably a good part of the day.”
Madeleine sniffed, trying to bring herself back together. She dabbed at her eyes with the sides of her forefingers.
“Why is it suddenly a problem?” Erik asked.
“Because you’re my husband,” Madeleine replied.
“I have to interact with other women sometimes,” Erik said. “Just like you have to interact with other men.”
“I know,” Madeleine said.
“I didn’t ask to be put with her,” Erik said. “Mr. Kjeldsen told me I was working with her and that arrangement hasn’t changed yet.”
“I know,” Madeleine said.
“Then why are you crying?” Erik asked.
“Because you’re mine,” Madeleine replied.
“Of course I am,” Erik said. “No one’s questioning that, or trying to change that.”
Madeleine certainly thought they were, but Erik didn’t seem to understand, and he sounded like he was getting frustrated.
“I don’t understand why you’re fussing like this,” Erik said. “I don’t fuss at you going to church or when you talk about other men. You never fussed about it before either. I don’t understand why the change. What is different? Has somebody been telling you stories and making you think badly of me?”
“I’m not fussing,” Madeleine sobbed.
“It seems like you are,” Erik said. “You’re making no sense to me with this.”
“You just don’t understand,” Madeleine wept.
“Are you going to explain it to me then?” Erik asked.
“I’m trying,” Madeleine cried.
Erik sighed and Madeline heard him moving. This wasn’t working, and Madeleine had a sinking feeling she’d forgotten the advice Mrs. Mueller had given her, at least in part, but she wasn’t going to try and call Mrs. Mueller to get it straightened out now, she didn’t know that she had a cellphone number for Mrs. Mueller.
With soft and gentle touches, Erik drew Madeleine to her feet and against his chest.
“Do I need to tell you I love you more?” Erik asked. “Do I need to take you out to dinner? Get you flowers? Buy you a ring or a dress? Do you need a vacation?”
Madeleine shook her head against his chest. She wanted him, completely, exclusively, all her own, forever.

Pronunciation:
Mueller: myooler

No comments:

Post a Comment