Thursday, January 02, 2020

Involved: Day 2

Word Count: 12,006

Summary of Events:
After a poor night's sleep Samuel was slow and reluctant to get up, as well as being quite irritated by the ranch hand who usually annoyed him; he hurried through his breakfast and set out to do all the morning chores alone, but was summoned to his employer's office before too long and asked if anything was the matter, he hesitated to reply . . .

Excerpt of the Day:
“Why so slow to speak?” Mr. Gregory asked. “I even see now in less than a minute that you are not in your normal spirits today.”
“I got a letter yesterday telling me my sister had died sir,” Samuel replied quietly.
“Oh, how terrible,” Mr. Gregory said. “I’m dreadfully sorry. Was it childbirth?”
“No sir,” Samuel replied. “The train crash in Kansas.”
Mr. Gregory stared at him in shock for a moment before shaking his head. “How awful.”
“I also lost a niece and nephew,” Samuel added.
“How absolutely dreadful,” Mr. Gregory said.
He turned slightly and opened a desk drawer, removed a ledger from it, and prepared a pen to write in it.
Samuel watched the top end of the pen quiver as Mr. Gregory wrote before returning the pen to its place and drawing out a billfold from inside his vest, probably the breast pocket of his shirt.
Easily he slid out several bills, then he hesitated a moment before sliding out another bill.
“Here, your wages since last payday and an extra thirty dollars for incidental expenses,” Mr. Gregory said. “You need some time to grieve your loss and settle your sister’s estate and such things. You’re relieved of all duties until further notice. Don’t rush back, take the time you need, I have enough men to get someone else doing your tasks.”
Samuel rose and took the bills, sliding the extra thirty off the top. “I don’t need this sir.”
“Nonsense, take it,” Mr. Gregory said. “Even if you don’t keep it for yourself I’m sure you’ll find somewhere good to use it.”
“No sir,” Samuel insisted. “I don’t need it.”
Mr. Gregory slid his billfold back into its pocket. “Take it Spady, I have more than enough money to put all my children through college and then some, thirty dollars is not going to have an adverse effect on me.”
Samuel sighed, he didn’t want to take the money, but it appeared that Mr. Gregory wasn’t going to take it back, so he put it back with the bills representing the labour he’d done for Mr. Gregory since last payday and put the bills in the breast pocket of his shirt, carefully curved around his cigarette case.
“I trust you’re going to set out at once?” Mr. Gregory enquired.
“Since you’ve released me from all duties I have nothing else to do sir,” Samuel replied.
“Good, I hope your travels are safe,” Mr. Gregory said. “Send me a wire on your way back.”
Samuel nodded.
“Not that I want you hurrying, but I would like to know when you’re on your way back so that we’re ready to get you back to work,” Mr. Gregory said.
“Yes sir,” Samuel said.
“And, once again, my sincerest condolences,” Mr. Gregory said. “That is one of the worst ways to lose a loved one.”
Samuel nodded quietly and slipped out of the office.

No comments:

Post a Comment