Thursday, October 03, 2019

In the Shadow: Day 3

Word Count: 18,114

Summary of Events:
Parker went to the superior officer's house for supper and discussed the case further with the officer and his wife, who had some valuable suggestions. Rowynna fretted to her sister Della about the lack of suitable men in Frank; Della urged her to be patient, as she wasn't even eighteen yet. Parker went back to the ranch where the bodies had been found and interviewed one of the ranch hands . . .

Excerpt of the Day:
“Do you think that Mr. and Mrs. Swanson had anyone possibly after them for any reason?” Parker asked.
The man guffawed; Parker bristled.
“Of all the hare-brained ideas you could come up with,” the man said, still chuckling,
Parker wanted to issue a hot retort, but he couldn’t decide which way he should take it, so he ended up remaining silent.
“Kid, if someone was after them they surely could’ve cared less,” the man said. “Sure Mrs. Swanson was paranoid, but she was afraid of the men around here and that was it. Mr. Swanson wasn’t afraid of a thing, and their daughter was only afraid of her mother. There’s no way they had any enemies after them.”
“We strive to be thorough,” Parker spat.
“Don’t try too hard,” the man said. “Can make you look stupid.”
Parker set his jaw.
“Your face is starting to blend in with your coat kid,” the man said.
“What happened on the day of the fire?” Parker asked tightly.
“Got up, ate breakfast, checked the cows, had lunch, went to town to get the mail, came back and your lot were already here sloshing water at the fire,” the man replied. “I don’t know what happened.”
“Who in town can prove you were there?” Parker asked. “Aside from the postman?”
The man exhaled in a way that suggested he was at a loss. “I don’t know, anyone else who was at the post office maybe. You don’t think I’m innocent, do you?”
“I want to make sure you’re above suspicion,” Parker replied.
“You don’t want me to be guilty?” the man asked, a bit of teasing in his voice.
“No, I don’t,” Parker replied. “The fewer people I have to put behind bars the better.”
“Thought that was your job,” the man said.
“It is,” Parker replied. “But I would like it if not everyone was a criminal.”
The man shifted his jaw, nodding. “I don’t know who else saw me in town, but I promise you I was there.”
“May I have your name that I can enquire?” Parker asked.
“Willard May,” the man replied.
“How many men were employed by Mr. Swanson?” Parker asked.
“Eight,” Mr. May replied. “They obviously got up and went to check the cows without me.”
“Do you make nine or are you the eighth?” Parker asked.
“What do you mean?” Mr. May asked.
“Are there seven men out checking cows, or eight?” Parker asked.
“Seven,” Mr. May replied.
Parker nodded. “I appreciate your cooperation Mr. May. I would like to question the others when they’re finished. How long do you think that will be?”

Mr. May shrugged. “Depends on how many cows are calving and what sort of difficulties are going on over there.”

No comments:

Post a Comment