Thursday, August 01, 2019

No Alternative: Day 1

Word Count: 6,018

Summary of Events:
After school Drake arrived at the restaurant five minutes late and was lectured by his father, and during dinner service was ordered to cut vegetables when he was supposed to wait tables, which caused customers to have unnecessary delays in receiving their food — among other issues that occurred over the course of the evening. The following afternoon Drake hung out with his friends during a spare period at school and discussed a variety of topics, including how Drake wasn't allowed to do pretty much anything if it got in the way of his duty to the restaurant . . .

Excerpt of the Day:
“Are you sure he’s going to let you go to school in September?” Hayden asked.
“He’ll probably expect me to go to cooking school,” Drake replied. “And if I can lead him to believe that until it’s too late for him to back out of the agreement then we’re fine.”
“That sounds difficult,” Rhys said. “Are you really sure you’ll be able to pull that sort of thing off?”
Drake sat up. “I certainly hope so, because I’m not going to actually go to cooking school.”
“Wouldn’t he be paying for it?” Hayden asked.
“College isn’t mandatory,” Drake replied. “He can’t force me to go into a program I don’t want to.”
“One would hope anyways,” Rhys said.
“It can’t be possible,” Drake scoffed. “That’d be like abuse.”
“If your dad’s so dedicated to the restaurant that it has priority over everything else in your entire family’s lives why would he let you learn about anything other than cooking?” Rhys asked. “You’d think he’d want all the help he can get seeing how short-staffed the kitchen is.”
“Just because he wants me to help with the restaurant doesn’t mean he can make me,” Drake said.
Rhys looked sceptical. “You’re not really going to have enough money to go to school on your own, surely he could put conditions on your money declaring that you won’t get any if you aren’t learning about cooking.”
“I can work my way through school if I have to,” Drake replied. “Anything to get out of that restaurant.”
Everyone slowly got to their feet as the bell rang.
“Would you be able to make enough money to work your way through college?” Rhys asked.
“I would think so,” Drake replied. “Even if I have to spread the course out over a longer period of time than it’s supposed to take, I’m okay with that, so long as it means that I can get out of that restaurant.”
“I’d be willing to donate to the cause once I’m making money,” Calder replied. “And I should hope that won’t be too far into the future.”
“You could probably just about pay for my whole education by yourself,” Drake said, holding the door open.
“Well I’m pretty sure if I’m making hundreds of thousands of dollars, or even millions, that I’m going to have a decent-sized tax bill,” Calder said. “The drawbacks of being a millionaire.”
“Even still, ten or fifteen grand over two years isn’t that bad is it?” Drake asked. “And if you gift it to me you might even get deductions and not have to pay so much taxes.”
“That would be nice,” Calder said. “We’ll see what happens though.”
“Eggs can always get scrambled, after all,” Rhys said.
“Or they can not hatch at all,” Hayden agreed.
Drake nodded. He hoped that expecting his parents to pay his way through college wasn’t counting his chickens before they hatched. Why would his parents withhold money from him? He would get farther even in the cooking world if he had a degree in at least some facet of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment