Saturday, October 06, 2018

Disconcerting: Day 6

Word Count: 36,065

Summary of Events:
Jada's parents came to discuss the issue in person and Caetline, for interest's sake, tagged along, watching as Jada's parents looked at all the bay horses, including Pride, despite his being privately owned and seemed to be unwilling to make Jada ride a horse that wasn't bay . . .

Excerpt of the Day:
"Surely you have bought horses especially for other students," Mrs. Greenwall said.
"Non, Madame, I have not," Arrière-Oncle Guy said. "Every horse I own, unless ill or injured, is ridden by no less than two different people in a week who are judged to be suitable for that horse."
"You mean someone else rides Coraline?" Jada asked, sounding horrified.
"Oui," Arrière-Oncle Guy replied. "Coraline has been ridden by two other young riders the whole time you have had her as your horse. I strive to make sure each horse has at least two people who ride it on a weekly basis. This is true of every single horse I have shown you that I have not indicated as a privately owned horse."
"But, if you don't mind my asking Mr. Lécuyer," Mr. Greenwall said. "Why aren't the horses you showed us suitable for Jada? I mean, I know there were the ones she didn't like, but, why were the other ones unsuitable for her?"
"Jada is an early Advanced rider," Arrière-Oncle Guy replied. "And she is a rider who likes a responsive horse, a horse that will not challenge her authority. The horses I've shown you are horses that can be responsive for a rider who is stronger, a rider who is better capable of picking up on their idiosyncrasies. I have horses that are willing to respond no matter how assertive and authoritative their rider is, the sorts of horses Jada needs, I just don't happen to have any in bay is all."
"So why can't you buy one in bay?" Mrs. Greenwall asked.
"Because a horse's colour is not considered the attribute of greatest importance by most riders, from my young grandchildren all the way up to my daughter, even to the man who's nearly sixty and rides three times a week, colour is not significant, it is the temperament and build of the horse that are more important," Arrière-Oncle Guy replied.
Jada looked upset, and Caetline was pretty sure it was because of the fact that Coraline had been ridden by others without her realising more than anything.
Mrs. Greenwall didn't look impressed either, but Mr. Greenwall looked like he was considering things.
"So who are the suitable horses?" Mr. Greenwall asked.
"I don't want them!" Jada cried. "None of them are bay!"
"Jada, please," Mr. Greenwall said.
"They're all ugly horses!" Jada shouted. "I don't want to ride a horse unless it's a bay horse and you're not going to make me!"
"This is unreasonable Jada," Mr. Greenwall said.
"You're unreasonable!" Jada screamed.
"Would that bay horse Jada first pointed out be suitable for her?" Mr. Greenwall asked, looking desperate.
"It is a privately owned horse, no matter its suitability," Arrière-Oncle Guy replied cooly. "If she refuses to ride the perfectly suitable horses I have for her then you have the alternative of purchasing her a horse."

Pronunciations:
Non: noh
Arrière-Oncle: ahrrheeehr-ohnkl
Oui: we
Lécuyer: lehkooyay

No comments:

Post a Comment