Monday, January 15, 2018

One Small Wish: Day 13

Word Count: 78,016

Summary of Events:
Fancy walked to TwoCities and observed the whole neighbourhood around it to be unpleasant due to its lack of trees; she was also unnerved at the lack of people she saw as she approached and entered the church — where she gratefully took earplugs due to the music volume. Vaughan saw Fancy come in, only to be treated like she was unwelcome by someone else, he chased her down and told her the truth before she could leave. Fancy thought about everything on the way home, incredibly appalled at it all. Vaughan stayed at the church purely to call them out for their treatment of Fancy that morning, and their behaviour otherwise before leaving the church in an uproar. Fancy described her brief experience at the church service to Grandma . . .

Excerpt of the Day:
"Grandma looked at Fancy like she thought Fancy was exaggerating.
"Once the song finished the woman beside me tried to shoo me out like I was some sort of an animal that belonged outside," Fancy went on. "I stood up to her, so she backed away from me like I had the Plague. I'm not lying to you Grandma, that's actually what happened."
"What a wretched place," Grandma said. "And they call it a church?"
"Apparently," Fancy replied. "I left after that, but a man followed me out and told me he'd done all this for us out of his own pocket, and he'd only gone back to that place today because he'd figured I'd show up, and he'd wanted to tell me that he'd done it by himself and that I should get away from that place as fast as possible, much less that I should never let Eirenna go back there ever again."
"It mustn't be a real church then," Grandma said.
"Well it calls itself a Christian Assembly," Fancy said. "Does that mean that it's fake?"
"It would certainly seem to me," Grandma replied. "I certainly hope that there are still good churches, though."
"I really don't care," Fancy said. "It's not like I'm going to go to one anytime soon."
Grandma sighed. "I'd like to know why that man associates himself with that church if he was wanting you to leave it."
"Apparently he was the actor behind the St. Nicholas character," Fancy said.
"As in they hired someone from outside to play the part?" Grandma asked.
"I don't know," Fancy replied. "Personally, though, I'd like to know why he did this."
"What do you mean?" Grandma asked.
"Well, he certainly seemed to have everything he could possibly want," Fancy replied.
"Meaning?" Grandma asked.
"He had really nice clothes, perfect hair, everything," Fancy replied. "He looked like one of those models on the billboards without a single thing out of place. Why would he care about us, especially if the rest of the people there didn't?"
"I wouldn't know," Grandma replied. "But I would be grateful that he did. Didn't you ask him?"
"No," Fancy replied. "I wasn't turning around and going back, even though he gave me more than enough money to take transit back here because I refused to let him drive me."
"He gave you money for transit?" Grandma asked.
"He said it'd be warmer than walking, not to mention it'd get me away from the place faster," Fancy replied.
"Did you thank him for that as well as for this?" Grandma asked, nodding at the Christmas tree.
"No," Fancy replied. "I didn't."
"He still deserves to be thanked even if he's associated with horrible people," Grandma said. "He certainly seems to be nice enough, after all."
"I don't care," Fancy said. "I should've been able to do this for us, and not had to depend on someone associated with such abhorrent people as those ones.""

No comments:

Post a Comment