Friday, October 06, 2017

Secrets and Shadows: Day 5

Word Count: 30,011

Summary of Events:
Keeleigh went over to her best friend Olivia's house and told Olivia all about what she'd learned from the papers, and they Googled the name of the woman Keeleigh had seen at the funeral, which led them to find out that her family ran quite a large farm. Olivia suggested that the woman was another great aunt of Keeleigh's, but Keeleigh wasn't convinced . . .

Excerpt of the Day:
""They didn't have contraception back in the twenties," Olivia said.
"I know that," Keeleigh replied.
"So then why's there a four year gap between Olek and Gustaw?" Olivia asked.
"There could've been a miscarriage," Keeleigh replied. "There were a lot more of those back in the day too."
"There could also be another girl," Olivia said. "A girl by the name of Adelejda."
"But I've never met her," Keeleigh said.
"Her Christmas cards to the family are being kept under lock and key in a steamer trunk," Olivia said. "I think this Adelejda is a great aunt of yours."
"We don't know what year Adelejda was born," Keeleigh said. "What if she's from either of the years Uncle Olek or Uncle Gustaw are from?"
"Twins?" Olivia suggested.
"There are no twins in the entire Niemcyk family," Keeleigh replied. "I have my doubts."
"But doesn't it make sense?" Olivia asked.
"It does," Keeleigh replied. "But why wouldn't I have met her?"
"Because she married a Ukrainian?" Olivia asked.
"That means nothing," Keeleigh replied. "If she'd have married a German I could see it, the Niemcyks have a hate on for the Germans."
"Who could blame them?" Olivia asked. "They were in Poland when the War started, weren't they?"
"Yeah," Keeleigh replied. "And besides, Dad married a Ukrainian and they don't have any issue with Mom."
"We need to go look through that box," Olivia said. "That's got to be where the answers are."
"But I feel like we won't be able to find out the answers unless we know Polish," Keeleigh said.
"So then what are you saying?" Olivia asked.
"I feel like we should find someone who speaks Polish — and someone who's not related to my family," Keeleigh replied.
"Why can't it be one of your relatives?" Olivia asked.
"They want the papers to go to Aunt Jadwiga," Keeleigh replied. "And I fear that if they go to Aunt Jadwiga I won't be allowed to look at them. In fact, if they find out that I have them they might blow a gasket."
"Even your parents?" Olivia asked.
"I don't know," Keeleigh replied. "But I don't feel like I can trust them not to tell Grandpa. I feel like he and his siblings for sure, though, will get upset if they find out I have these papers. That's why I lied to Diane."
"So you do think this Adelejda Myshaniuk is your great aunt?" Olivia asked.
"I don't know," Keeleigh replied. "I mean, it does make sense, but I feel like there's something hiding in those boxes. Something they want to keep a secret.""

Pronunciations:
Gustaw: goostahv
Jadwiga: yah'dveegah

No comments:

Post a Comment