Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Planted Seedling: Day 13

Word Count: 78,035

Summary of Events:
Lark got surrounded by Haylee and Anne at the church Christmas potluck and grilled about Brandt and the possibility of engagement. Brandt watched the chaos which was present opening at his Mom's house and made some disturbing discoveries about his sister before leaving early. Lark welcomed Brandt inside and had lunch with him at Christmas Eve before they opened presents; Brandt's gift overwhelmed Lark to the point of tears, prompting her dad to take her to her room to have a quiet talk . . .

Excerpt of the Day:
""Lark, what's the matter sweetheart?" her dad asked.
"He spent so much money on me," Lark sobbed. "This coat's two hundred dollars, and the shirt's sixty five, and the scarf and the necklace couldn't have been cheap either."
Her dad pulled her gently against his chest and rocked her there in an embrace. Lark sobbed into his shirt, somewhat relaxed by the familiar scents that made up her father.
"He loves you Lark," her dad whispered. "Surely you know that."
Lark nodded against his chest. "He told me in November."
"Part of love is giving gifts, you know that, I saw you reading that book," her dad said.
Lark pulled away and looked at her dad. "Within reason though."
"Brandt has the money for this to be nothing to him," her dad said, looking at her seriously. "He doesn't need to worry about saving things up or anything like that because there's more money to be had. This is, for him, within reason. Besides, it's not worth fussing over, you should appreciate it. I'm impressed he was able to get your size right, and with how tastefully he made his selections."
"But am I that special Daddy?" Lark asked.
"Yes," her dad replied. "Especially to him."
Lark sighed somewhat shakily. She was grateful to have received these things, but she felt like it was too much all at once.
Her dad opened his mouth to speak, but a knock on the door silenced him. Lark let him go answer the door.
Brandt came in, looking terribly tortured.
"She's overwhelmed is all," her dad said as Brandt looked at her. "She's not used to receiving this much, much less this much with this kind of value."
"And I didn't even buy you the shirt," Lark said, sobs convulsing her again.
Arms came around her and held her close, a desperation in the hold she knew could only be Brandt.
"It doesn't matter," Brandt whispered. "It doesn't matter. I got a kid's toy, a shirt fit for rags, a can cooler more appropriate for someone at least twenty years my senior, and some party lights from my mom. You actually listened to what I wanted and got me things that I like. It doesn't matter how much you spent compared to me. You'd spend more on me than my mom any day."
Lark's jaw trembled as she looked at him when he pulled away. He stroked the tears off her cheeks with his thumbs.
"The fact that what you gave me had some thought and care in it means more than anything," he whispered.
Lark stroked at her eyes.
Brandt clasped her shoulders and looked her in the eye. "I'm happy Lark, stop fussing."
He pulled her back into an embrace and held her close. Lark still felt rather overwhelmed, but she was also glad that Brandt appreciated her gift."

No comments:

Post a Comment