Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Quagmire: Day 14

Word Count: 84,031

Summary of Events:
Jesse was unable to sleep and pacing about his room when Georgia came in and they talked a bit before going to bed. Jesse was wandering about Chicago looking for his next story when he was kidnapped by Italian gangsters; he managed to escape with the aid of a fellow reporter, but the reporter was killed and Jesse was knocked out by the Italians. When he came to he was at the opulent home of their head man, Jim, to whom he boldly confessed that he'd shot one of Jim's men in the leg, which the man, Miro, eagerly confirmed . . .

Excerpt of the Day:
""I will kill him now," Miro said, drawing his gun.
"No!" Jim bellowed.
Miro startled.
"I do not want him dead, I want him alive," Jim said.
"But I want him dead," Miro protested. "He shot me!"
"I don't care if he shot you," Jim said. "I'll shoot you if you don't put away your gun."
"And I would like to know why you were waylaying me and stomping on me in the first place," Jesse said.
"Because I was going to bring you to the boss," Miro snapped.
"Then don't threaten to kill me and try to crush my ribcage," Jesse snapped.
Miro opened his mouth to say something in response, but Jim brandished his gun toward Miro, who quickly closed his mouth.
"Now," Jim said. "What I want is really quite simple Mr. Haden."
Jesse slid his gaze over to Jim.
"I want the information," Jim said.
"It's all published," Jesse replied.
"You cannot lie to me Mr. Haden," Jim said. "If you know that much then you assuredly know more, and I want to know what more you know."
"I don't give information until I get information," Jesse said.
"And what information would you be wanting?" Jim asked.
"Why is a simple shot in the leg worth six hundred grand?" Jesse asked.
"Because he is one of my best men, and the injury has laid him up for some time," Jim replied.
Jesse looked over at Miro, who was resting his weight on crutches that looked barely able to take the load.
"Why did your men have to murder one of my fellow reporters?" Jesse asked.
"Because he was preventing you from being brought to me," Jim replied. "Although I wasn't told he was a reporter. I was told that he was affiliated with one of the Irish gangs here, and all Irishmen are enemies."
"Then why are you trying to wheedle information from one?" Jesse asked.
Jim furrowed his brow and looked at Jesse with consternation. "You don't look Irish."
"Doesn't change the fact that I am," Jesse said.
"Your last name doesn't begin with an O," Jim said.
"Not all Irishmen's surnames do," Jesse replied. "Just like, I'm sure, not all Italian's surnames end with I or O."
Jim looked at Jesse seriously.
"You should have let me kill him," Miro muttered.
"Well," Jim said. "If you give me the information I want I will let you live, but if you do not then I will let Miro do what he wills with you. But you ought to know that it will be only because of your usefulness that I will spare you."
"I published all of the information that I know," Jesse said.
Jim proffered a diamond-encrusted pocket watch and checked the time.
"I will give you ten minutes," Jim said, snapping the watch shut. "If you have not made your decision to give me more information in that time then you are Miro's property, if you do, then you will walk away a free man.""

No comments:

Post a Comment