Friday, October 14, 2016

Escape: Day 11

Word Count: 66,006

Summary of Events:
Trace was being released from police custody while Dallis was going in and was highly astonished to see her there. Dallis was then visited by him after she'd been processed and he worked to allay some doubts she'd come up with. Trace then stopped by the hospital to have his wrist checked up on and worried about where Dallis had come up with the doubts, among other things. Dallis was visited by a lawyer representing the company who owned the showhome she'd broken into, and felt she was asked too many questions and so got upset. Trace visited her again and learned about the visit by the lawyer and how she'd gotten upset . . .

Excerpt of the Day:
""Well, agitation is not usually a good thing to show if you want people to be nice or easy on you," Trace replied. "So more than likely this SowDak Homes company is going to press charges against you for breaking and entering."
Dallis glared at the table, her mouth gathered into a taut line.
"I mean, I'm not surprised," Trace said. "However, you've kind of shot yourself in the foot, if you know what I mean."
Dallis exhaled sharply.
Trace really didn't know what to say now, so he just gazed silently.
Dallis' gaze suddenly snapped up to him, her blue eyes ablaze with something more like determination than rage.
"What?" Trace asked.
"You're on that side, you go talk to this SowDak Homes, tell them not to press charges," Dallis replied
Trace shifted his jaw dubiously.
Dallis' expression cooled rapidly, even though it seemed like her gaze was fiery at the same time.
"I don't know if it'll work," Trace said.
"I don't care," Dallis replied. "I just can't do it myself, and, according to you, it's probably better that I don't anyways."
"Well, I guess I could, being as I have nothing else to do," Trace said.
"Being as you're sitting around," Dallis derided.
"I want to be able to get you out of here," Trace said.
"I'm sure, at the rate things are going, you have enough time to go deliver your oranges and get back and I'll still be here," Dallis said.
"I don't want to take the chance," Trace said.
Dallis sighed.
"They could come at any time," Trace said. "The fact that it's taken them as long as it has when they saw me take the I-twenty nine northbound as my exit is honestly rather baffling."
"So?" Dallis asked. "I'm in here, how are they going to know that?"
Trace gathered his lips in thought.
"Especially if you're gone and there isn't your truck to recognise?" Dallis added, her voice soft.
Trace felt a rush of warmth. He didn't dare look up. It didn't matter what she said, when her voice was softened, it was almost maddening. He hadn't realised how abrasively she usually spoke until now.
And — getting his mind back onto what she'd said and not how she'd said it — what she'd said was right. His truck was probably the number one reason why the gangsters were finding them. If he were to skip off now back to Canada, drop off the oranges, and then come back in just his pickup; for one thing, her passport would probably be waiting, and for another thing, the gangsters wouldn't recognise him.
He looked up at her, the residual heat fading when he saw her set expression that looked to be verging on a raging explosion again. "After I talk to SowDak Homes, and depending on how that goes. Because if I can talk them into letting you go right away then we'd have to stay here anyways."
Dallis nodded, looking satisfied."

Pronunciation:
SowDak: s'ahwhdahk

No comments:

Post a Comment