Friday, September 16, 2016

Treachery: Day 11

Word Count: 66,015

Summary of Events:
Edward worked on getting the colt used to having his cinch tightened quicker while Adeline watched him work. He then received word from a former employer who needed his help with a new horse he'd bought once he was done with the colt. Adeline watched Edward as he worked to get the colt to tolerate him just put a foot into the stirrup; once he'd finished that Adeline saw Richard Jr. smoking in the barn and he got upset at her, prompting his father to come out and Adeline showed Mr. Leonard.
Mr. Leonard looked like he was going to reprimand Richard, but Richard overwhelmed him and Adeline got so mad she punched Richard, then started crying, which led Edward to take her aside and talk with her, afterwards returning outside to try and give Mr. Leonard a touch of parenting advice — even though he was childless and hadn't seen his family in almost a decade . . .

Excerpt of the Day:
""See, you have no place to give me advice," Mr. Leonard snapped.
"So you like how this all's goin' for y'all then?" Edward challenged.
"I have one of my sons convalescing in bed because either I or his brother shot him, my heir just about burnt my barn down for the second time in five years because for some reason he sees the need to smoke, much less in there, and I have a temporary employee being an incorrigible embarrassment to me and my reputation and not doing what I'm paying him to do," Mr. Leonard said. "Do you think I'm happy?"
"No," Edward replied. "But bein's y'all ain't of the mind to take my advice then obviously you think you've got it all figured out."
"Would you just shut up!" Mr. Leonard shouted, surging to his feet. "I've got enough problems to deal with and it's bad enough you happen to be one of them!"
"And y'all's too proud to let people help you with them," Edward said.
"I don't want to hear a word from your mouth for the remainder of your stay!" Mr. Leonard snapped. "And I also have no intent of seeing you darken the door of my home again, as much as you'll remain here until the colt is trained. Bring Richard up to the house as soon as you can Harvey."
Mr. Leonard turned and stalked away briskly.
Edward sighed as he watched, but said nothing. 
His eyes slid over to her. She was watching him as well, although the difference was the fact that tears were streaming down her cheeks.
"He can ruin his own life then," Edward muttered. "It ain't like he's not halfway there already."
"More than halfway," Harvey muttered.
Edward looked down at Richard, whose dark eyes were gazing up at him groggily.
"I don't want you to finish my colt," Richard said slowly. "I want you to leave."
"I've come this far, and I ain't leavin' until I'm finished," Edward replied. "The colt deserves that much, even if the rest of y'all don't."
Richard glared at him viciously.
"If y'all don't want me to finish the colt then I'm takin' the colt with me," Edward said. "And I ain't payin' no two grand for him either."
"He's my horse," Richard growled.
Edward shook his head. "Then why don't y'all want to do anything with him?"
"Because that's what you're being paid for," Richard growled.
Edward sighed and shook his head. "It's not what I'd like to be paid for, but bein's the two of you are about as easy to convince to change your ways as tornadoes I can't really do nothin' else, and I don't want to leave the colt hangin' and gettin' a poor start. The only reasons I ain't left yet is because my colt got injured and I feel your horse deserves to get some good treatment in his life. I ain't doin' this for you, or for the stinkin' money.""

No comments:

Post a Comment