Thursday, August 04, 2016

Intimidating Adversity: Day 4

Word Count: 24,021

Summary of Events:
Campbell got suspended five games for a prank Mr. Quilley didn't like and for reasons Lane didn't know he was put in at third base in replacement. In a later game filling in for Campbell Lane got a home run that started a brawl and led to the opponents getting Lane to do a drug test because they didn't think he should've been able to run the bases as fast as he did without the help of drugs. Lane and Campbell went to a party Campbell had been invited to while Gresham went out with his girlfriend, and it didn't take long for a girl to find Lane at the party.

Excerpt of the Day:
""You sound very driven," she said. "I do hope all that desire for hard work won't keep you from partying, though."
"And why should it?" Lane asked. "I need to engage in recreational activity sometime, otherwise I'll burn myself out."
"Although, if you are a fit and trim guy like you sound," she said. "And feel; then I would think you must look pretty sharp under these clothes."
"I should hope so," Lane replied. "I wouldn't want to put all that work in for nothing."
"I would love to see," she said.
"When I haven't even gotten to know you or your name?" Lane asked.
"Oh," she said, daintily covering her deep red lips with her white and silver-glitter polished fingernails. "I guess I haven't introduced myself, have I?"
"No, my darling, you haven't," Lane replied.
"Oh, well, my name is Serena Beruma," she said. "And I've lived here in Kannapolis since two years ago. I was born in South California and lived there until I was twelve, when my parents divorced. Mom and I moved to Raleigh, where my grandparents live, and Mom found a job there that transferred her here two years ago."
"Wow," Lane said. "And do you have much to do with your dad?"
"I go visit him every August," Serena replied.
"Do you like your mom better, though?" Lane asked.
"Yeah," Serena replied. "I think she was right to leave Dad, being as he didn't seem to care for her anymore anyways."
Lane nodded. "Have either of your parents marred since the split?"
"Mom's dated a couple of guys since, but nothing serious," Serena replied. "Dad's married and divorced twice."
"And how old are you, anyways?" Lane asked.
"Eighteen," Serena replied. "And you?"
"A year older," Lane replied.
Serena nodded. "And where in Canada are you from?"
"I was born in Victoria, British Columbia, which is just a little north of Washington State, I think Seattle's the major city right nearby there," Lane replied. "On the far west coast of Canada there's a really big island just above the US border, and Victoria's on the south end of that."
"Mm," Serena said. "You don't live there now?"
"No," Lane replied. "I've lived in several different places in Canada, but now that I'm old enough to live on my own I live just south of Calgary, Alberta, which is east of the Rocky Mountains, and about three hours north of the Montana border."
"Why did you move around so much?" Serena asked.
"Following my mom's latest husbands," Lane replied, beginning to manoeuvre toward the kitchen to get a drink.
"She goes through them quickly?" Serena asked.
"Yeah, she'll be marrying her fifth in August," Lane replied.
"Oh my gosh," Serena said, startling. "What does she do to them?"
"Spends all their money," Lane replied. "Or at least gets close enough for them to get uncomfortable and kick her out. None of her kids have a full sibling.""

No comments:

Post a Comment