Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Tormented: Day 15

Word Count: 90,027

Summary of Events:
Esperanza went outside for the first time since her forced abortion and talked with Ana-Maria about trying to speed up their escape plans. Riel returned to court for the first time since his hospitalisation and was greeted by applause from the crowd outside the courthouse and the audience within. Zeus came to visit again and Esperanza asked him to throw another party, but he adamantly refused to do so before September, saying there was noting to celebrate in August. Riel was exhausted by the seemingly repetitive arguments that had come to be the majority of what the trial was made of and finally decided to bring the trial to an end . . . 

Excerpt of the Day:
""As much as I would like to, I cannot force them to do what they will not do, and so with great reluctance, mourning, and difficulty, I must say that I have no further arguments," Riel said, his voice trembling. "I hate to fail the Bello Arechovaletos like this, I hate to fail myself like this, but this is a hill that is futile to be died on. I wish they would try to find Miss Bello Arechovaleto with better effort, but as they will not, I cannot force them to do so."
"If you're so bound and determined to find her why don't you find her yourself?!" the head of the legal team shouted.
Riel startled. Had he not been listening? Why wasn't he rejoicing that he and his team had won victory because he'd just heard the prosecution concede defeat?
"I have been doing what I can to do as much," Riel said, deciding to run with it and not flaunt the fact that he was giving up. "However, if I do not have the case file I do not know what has already been determined by the Mar del Plata police department, and how to best set my course of action."
"Fine then," the head of the legal team said, not quite so loudly. "I move that the trial be adjourned so arrangements can be made for the case file to be transferred and we be rid of this burden."
Riel looked up at the judge. His expression showed puzzlement. He looked at Riel.
"Do you agree with the motion?"
"I see no need for it," Riel replied.
"And why not?!" the head of the legal team demanded.
Riel turned to face him. "If you would've been listening to my closing arguments, you would know why," Riel replied. "However, if it is legally permissible for me to come into possession of the case files, then I would be more than willing to take on the case and see if I can succeed where the defendant has failed, and may not fail the Bello Arechovaletos and myself as badly as I was initially thinking I would."
"So then you will see the trial adjourned?" the judge asked.
"No," Riel replied, looking at the head of the legal team. "I will see the charges dropped, whether or not I receive the case file, and being as the Mar del Plata police department whose unfortunate incompetency has been hereby unequivocally proved has declined to try and regain competency and credibility, will myself, should it even take until the day my last breath is taken, pursue the recovery and restoration of Esperanza Bello Arechovaleto to her family on my own with the same dedication which I've directed toward this trial."
The head of the legal team smiled a smile that Riel couldn't help but feel unsettled by, as it looked rather sinisterly and maliciously pleased. It almost made Riel question whether or not the Mar del Plata police department had chosen corrupt legal counsel that may well itself have been hiding things."

No comments:

Post a Comment