Thursday, March 10, 2016

Astounded: Day 9

Word Count: 54,020

Summary of Events:
Jemima thought about Penrod, his apology, and what she felt about him. Penrod went and got the mail, which included a letter from his fiancée that left him feeling uncomfortable; he got word from the mayor that a deputy was coming and then went to visit Jemima and talked with her about his visit to the ranch near Sheridan. Jemima was then visited by the new deputy, whom she couldn't say she entirely liked. Penrod returned from investigation to find the new deputy wasn't in the office like he'd expected, instead . . .

Excerpt of the Day:
"Penrod looked up and saw Mr. Bateman on his sleek, sidestepping chestnut heading toward him. He had a somewhat dreamy looking smile on his face and seemed completely oblivious to Penrod's presence as he dismounted.
"What called you out of the office?" Penrod asked flatly, inclined to think he wouldn't be pleased with the answer.
Mr. Bateman startled. "Oh! Sheriff! I didn't see you there! You're back already?"
"I am," Penrod replied.
"Things didn't go so well?" Mr. Bateman asked.
"No, they went fine," Penrod replied. "I'm not just not one who appreciates being ignored."
"I'm not ignoring you," Mr. Bateman said, looking astonished.
"I asked you a question," Penrod replied. "And you've yet to answer it."
"What question?" Mr. Bateman asked.
"What called you out of the office?"
"Nothing," Mr. Bateman replied.
"Then why did you leave?" Penrod asked.
"Sitting around in a rather bare office all day isn't terribly entertaining," Mr. Bateman replied.
"Where did you go?" Penrod asked.
"I went visiting," Mr. Bateman replied. "Might as well get to know people in the area."
"Who did you visit?" Penrod asked.
"You seem awfully suspicious," Mr. Bateman said.
Penrod crossed his arms and glared firmly at the young man in lieu of a response.
"I found a trail through the woods, I thought it was kind of suspicious at first, but the I found it led to a house," Mr. Bateman replied. "She said her name was Miss Jemima Vaughan."
A wave of fury and rage unlike Penrod had ever known before swelled through him at the mention of her name. He wanted to grab Mr. Bateman and give him a beating, and yet he hadn't the faintest idea why.
Inhaling several deep gulps of air, Penrod suppressed the rage and managed to ask with a relative calmness: "And what did you learn from her?"
"Not much, mostly where she's from and whatnot," Mr. Bateman replied. "Well, other than the fact that she's beautiful. I've a mind to marry her if she's willing, although she didn't seem to be terribly interested in me, she didn't look at me the entire time, and she seemed slightly uncomfortable."
Penrod found himself feeling pleased, but he said nothing. He didn't entirely know what was coming over him anyways.
"She said she knew you, too," Mr. Bateman said. "She's so beautiful, though. I've never seen such gorgeous blonde hair. I can't imagine what it looks like down."
"Good," Penrod replied firmly. "Don't."
"What, you want to marry her?" Mr. Bateman asked.
Penrod startled and looked at Mr. Bateman aghast. "Of course not! I've got my own fiancée I'll be marrying this summer!"
"Well then why shouldn't I dream of Miss Vaughan?" Mr. Bateman asked.
"Because you have better things to do," Penrod replied. "Like making sure that law and order is being upheld in this town. As calm as it is now, I have a mind it's going to waken like a spring bear.""

No comments:

Post a Comment