Thursday, May 14, 2015

Opening: Day 10

Word Count: 60,009

Summary of Events:
Chapter 19:
Keiller brought Egbert breakfast and managed to find out Mrs. Wylie's address and went to send a letter to her, having to chase the stagecoach down to get it on; he learned from the driver that Mr. Wharton had a cousin in town and then injured himself jumping off of the stagecoach.
Chapter 20:
Sophia had to help Keiller up off of the floor in the morning because he was so sore. Dr. and Mrs. Carrigan came and Mrs. Carrigan measured Sophia for dresses before Dr. Carrigan talked with Sophia. After they and Keiller left Sophia thought about the possibility of telling Keiller about her sisters.

Excerpt of the Day:
"Mrs. Carrigan looked to be rather enthusiastic, and Miss Hagerson looked like she felt somewhat relieved. Dr. Carrigan walked over to them to ask Miss Hagerson a few questions; Keiller caught Mrs. Carrigan's eye and she came over to him.
"Did she tell you anything of interest?" Keiller asked.
"No, she remained quite quiet," Mrs. Carrigan replied. "I don't believe I've ever met a quieter woman who hasn't actually been a mute."
"You didn't learn anything of interest at all?" Keiller asked.
"She is very interesting overall," Mrs. Carrigan replied. "The fact that she's so silent and there's, really, so much mystery surrounding her intrigues me, and I wish I could find out everything about her."
"That makes two of us," Keiller said.
"But to bombard her with questions until she finally answers us would be a horrible thing to do," Mrs. Carrigan said. "She's so timid, it's like approaching a deer."
"Have you been reading my mind?" Keiller asked.
"I don't do such things," Mrs. Carrigan replied.
"You'd almost think we were related," Keiller said.
Mrs. Carrigan smiled. "Either that or you could say that great minds think alike."
Keiller smiled too. "You could say that," he agreed.
"I'll be making four dresses for Miss Hagerson," Mrs. Carrigan said. "However, I'm not sure if I should make them all the standard style, or make an empire waisted one, as that would accommodate a growing womb better; of course she is actually rather similar in size to me, so I could give her some of my old empires until she has the child, being as she isn't we and wouldn't likely be having another child soon."
Keiller nodded, even though he wasn't really that interested in the matter.
"And Mr. Bartlett, I must commend you," Mrs. Carrigan said. "You have done a very good and Godly thing taking Miss Hagerson in, in spite of the fact that many upstanding people would've rejected her abandoned her in the cold."
Keiller nodded again. "I would like her to go and stay with you, for the sake of being close to Dr. Carrigan when things start to happen, but she got quite upset at me when I suggested the idea. She thought I was just trying to get her out of here now because she is with child and therefore I no longer had the opportunity to defile her."
"The poor child," Mrs. Carrigan said. "She's all alone, and she's hurting and confused; I hope that maybe she will be convinced to come and stay with us as well. I would love to help her in any way she would let me."
"You already are," Keiller said. "You're making her clothes."
"But I would love to do more than that," Mrs. Carrigan said.
Keiller nodded. "So would I.""

No comments:

Post a Comment