Friday, November 07, 2014

Suddenly Alone: Day 6

Word Count: 42,003

Summary of Events:
Chapter 13:
Sofia and Charlotte mixed some gingersnaps and baked some chocolate chip cookies while Axel and Hendrick went out and disked Sofia's field. A rock got lodged in the disk and when it pulled loose it came up and hit Axel in the cheek and nose. He finished the field and then headed to the hospital to see how bad it'd been. He called Sofia and told her to watch for a prospective buyer and Sofia worried about Axel's condition.
Chapter 14:
The next morning Axel surveyed his fractured cheekbone for himself, it was swollen and bruised, looking like a rather nasty plum. When he arrived to get Hendrick and go disk the field a second time Sofia freaked out at the bruise, but eventually let them go out and work. Axel got to thinking about Sofia and then ended up thinking about the heartbreaking demise of his marriage. Axel and Hendrick came in for lunch and Sofia told them the prospective buyer hadn't made the purchase, due to the implement being John Deere. Between finishing the field and suppertime Axel went and assessed the progress and saw that Sofia needed to get a renter for her field soon.

Excerpt of the Day:
"Stepping inside, Axel couldn't see anyone, but he could hear Sofia talking softly. He walked toward the kitchen — which was pretty much the guaranteed place to find them — and saw Charlotte and Sofia were looking at something.
Hendrick was sitting across from them and sat up straight, his face lit up and he clambered out of his chair and hurried over. Sofia turned and gasped, putting her hand over her mouth, her face expressing abject horror.
"Oh my goodness!" Sofia exclaimed. "I thought you said you'd hit your nose!"
"I did," Axel replied. "I just hit my cheek too."
"Have you put ice on it?" Sofia asked.
"Yes," Axel replied. "I've had ice on it for several hours. It was about twice this big earlier."
"Shouldn't you have ice on it now?" Sofia asked.
"My arms are going to be dead," Axel replied.
"Is it just a bruise?" Sofia asked.
"No," Axel replied. "I fractured my cheek."
Sofia gasped again. "Surely you shouldn't even be working!" she exclaimed.
"I'm not in construction or anything," Axel replied. "I'll just be driving all day, minimal risk, if any at all."
"But still," Sofia protested.
"And if I have Hendrick watching for rocks for me then I won't even be moving my head too much either," Axel said.
"Oh," Sofia moaned. "Can't you rest?"
"No, not really," Axel replied. "At least not until I've disked your field."
"I thought you did that yesterday," Sofia said.
"I'm disking it twice," Axel replied. "More effective."
Sofia sighed and brushed some stray hairs from her face. Axel gave her a bit of a wry smile.
"It takes a lot to knock a man down, especially a farming man," Axel said.
Sofia cast her gaze towed the ceiling and sighed again. "And it seems that I'm going to have to deal with it."
"It seems so, yes," Axel replied.
"Be careful when loosing any rocks," Sofia said, looking at Axel sternly.
"Yes ma'am," Axel replied.
Hendrick wrapped his hand around Axel's fingers again and was tugging on Axel's hand, begging to be off already.
"Come back for lunch please," Sofia said.
"We'll do our best," Axel replied.
Sofia nodded. Axel finally followed Hendrick and they both put their shoes on and headed out to the tractor. Axel helped Hendrick up and then followed him inside. He started up the tractor and went to the field entry and started to go around the perimeter of the field."

No comments:

Post a Comment